Tomato juice just masks the skunk smell. It does not eliminate it. Humans are very sensitive to the sulfur compounds found in skunk sprays, called thiols, and we can detect them at very low levels (10 parts per billion). Skunks are proficient at regulating the output of their anal glands and can precisely target their odor.
If a skunk sprays you eventually you get used to the smell due to olfactory fatigue. It is when your nose is exposed to an odor for too long and fails to detect it.
If you are doused, a shower is your best first defense; if your pet gets sprayed too, a better solution is to mix a quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide with a quarter cup of baking soda and a teaspoon or two of liquid detergent.
Skunk spray, also known as skunk musk, is toxic at high concentrations and should be avoided. When people are sprayed, they might get burning eyes or feel sick.