Connect with us

Breaking news

High court declares Huduma Namba roll out illegal

Published

on

The high court has quashed a decision by the government to roll out the Huduma Namba cards, ruling that it is illegal on grounds of being in conflict with the Data protection Act ,2019 .

Section 31 of the Data Protection Act requires data processing to be preceded by a data protection impact assessment to assess any data processing risks so that they can be mitigated .

Justice jairus Ngaah on Thursday, October 14 said the government faulted by not conducting a data protection impact assessment before launching the process.

Justice Ngaa therefore declared Huduma Namba roll out to be illegal.

An order is hereby issued to bring into this honourable court to quash the government decision of November 18 2020 to roll out Huduma cards for being ultra vires of the data protection act 2019,” the court ruled.

Order of mandamus is hereby issued compelling the government to conduct a data protection impact assessment in accordance with section 31 of the Data Protection Act before processing of data and rolling out the Huduma cards,” the judge added.

As of  September 2021, at least 9 million Huduma Namba cards had been processed and dispatched across the country.The government has been planning to faceout the identity cards in favour of Huduma Namba by 2021.

The government was thus directed to create safeguards to protect kenyans’ data . In the case , katiba institute moved to court to stop the roll out of the cards by the state since there is no data protection impact assessment .

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Breaking news

Actor Alec Baldwin accidentally kills a woman on a movie set

Published

on

Us actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun that killed a cinematographer and wounded the director on a film set in New Mexico US law enforcement said Friday.

The incident took place on a set of ”’Rust” where Baldwin is playing the lead in a 19th century western about an accidental killing.

The Western drama’s director of photography, Halyna Hutchins, and its director, Joel Souza, were struck in the incident, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office.

“The sheriff’s office confirms that two individuals were shot on the set of Rust. Halyna Hutchins, 42, director of photography, and Joel Souza, 48, director, were shot when a prop firearm was discharged by Alec Baldwin, 68, producer, and actor,” it said.

“Ms. Hutchins was transported, via helicopter, to University of New Mexico hospital where she was pronounced dead by medical personnel. Mr. Souza was transported by ambulance to Christus St Vincent regional medical center where he is undergoing treatment for his injuries.”

“This investigation remains open and active. No charges have been filed in regard to this incident.”

Juan Rios, from the sheriff’s office, said: “Mr. Baldwin came in voluntarily to speak with investigators and after speaking with them he left.”

The Santa Fe New Mexican reported Baldwin was seen on Thursday outside the sheriff’s office in tears, but attempts to get a comment from him were unsuccessful.

“According to investigators, it appears that the scene being filmed involved the use of a prop firearm when it was discharged,” Rios told the Albuquerque Journal. “Detectives are investigating how and what type of projectile was discharged.”

Hutchins, 42, was director of photography on the 2020 action film Archenemy, starring Joe Manganiello. A 2015 graduate of the American Film Institute, she was named a “rising star” by American Cinematographer in 2019.

“I’m so sad about losing Halyna. And so infuriated that this could happen on a set,” said the Archenemy director, Adam Egypt Mortimer, on Twitter. “She was a brilliant talent who was absolutely committed to art and to film.”

“The details are unclear at this moment, but we are working to learn more, and we support a full investigation into this tragic event,” the International Cinematographers Guild’s president, John Lindley, and executive director Rebecca Rhine said in a statement.

Continue Reading

Breaking news

1 dead: How Komothai Girls defended themselves after boys invaded their dorm.

Published

on

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) report on the incident, which involved a minor, has been regarded as a case of self-defense. It happened at Kimothai girls’ secondary school. The unidentified minor and his friends had accessed the girl’s sleeping quarters at the wee hours of Thursday morning on a yet to be determined mission.

The students, who were not aware that the boy was there, attacked the intruders after learning that he was there since they sensed that they might be in danger.

“The school’s guards, teachers, and students all rushed towards the dormitory to find out what was happening. On sensing danger, five of the boys managed to trace their way back to their school while the deceased was cornered by the angry students and staff.

“Sadly, they descended on him causing him life-threatening injuries. The boy later succumbed to his injuries at Kigumo level IV hospital. Crime scene detectives later visited the scene and recovered planks of wood suspected to have been used to assault the suspect,” the police report read.

The DCI went on to caution members of the public to desist from taking the law into their hands, as also recently witnessed in Masten Wanjala’s case in Bungoma.

Cases of Dorm Invasions are Fairly Common

Cases of dormitory invasions are fairly common in Kenya. Most of these are among the schools that are close to each other.

It’s almost like a rite of passage for many final-year students of boys’ schools. In April this year, over 70 students from a school in Lanet in Nakuru county were arrested after the same incident.

The schoolmates of the Anestar Bahati Boys School reportedly are said to have sneaked out of their school and managed to enter the girls’ school. When law enforcers confronted them, they had a difficult time in rounding up the boys, forcing them to fire shots in the air.

“Officers from Githioro Police Station responded swiftly and rushed to the school after the girls raised alarm. But not even the arrival of our men would scare away the defiant boys who kept hovering around the dormitory.

“Officers managed to arrest 10 of them, as others escaped in the dead of the night. The arrested were placed in custody at Dundori Patrol Base, pending further action,” a statement from the DCI read in part.

University Education and Research Principle secretary Amb. Simon Nabukwesi at the time said that a decision had been made to prosecute the students. The decision was later reversed after consultations with the County Director of Education, the County Commissioner, and other stakeholders.

According to the PS, the 70 boys ‘appeared remorseful’ and were allowed to complete their KCSE examinations in the school.

They will face the law, there is no exemption for that, but they will have their certificates so that they can be corrected to become better people,” said Nabukwesi.

Continue Reading

Breaking news

Police launch manhunt for man who assaulted his 90-year-old mother in Makueni.

Published

on

A 45years old man, Patrick Mumo is on the run after raping his 90-year-old mother. Detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) have launched a manhunt on Mashujaa Day, in Mbooni-Makueni county.

In a tweet, DCI said that the suspect went into hiding after committing the heinous act which left his mother admitted to a hospital.

“Detectives have launched a manhunt for a suspect who raped his 90-year-old mother on Mashujaa Day, in Mbooni-Makueni county, before going into hiding. The woman in her sunset years was found in her bedroom by her eldest son writhing in pain, complaining of waist pains,” DCI said.

The police report states that on October 20, Patrick Mumo forced himself into his mother’s bedroom at around 8 pm and subjected her to a beastly act.

She tearfully narrated her harrowing ordeal in the hands of her younger son Patrick Mumo, 45, who forced his way into her bedroom at around 8 pm as she slept and subjected her to the beastly act,” reads a tweet from DCI.

The 90-year-old mother was later rushed to Kisau Sub-county hospital where she is undergoing treatment.

“She was immediately rushed to Kisau Sub-county hospital in serious condition, where is undergoing treatment. Doctors at the medical facility confirmed that indeed she had been raped. Detectives are appealing to Patrick Mumo Ngenge to give himself up at the earliest available opportunity before the long arm of the law catches up with him,” said DCI.

Continue Reading

Trending