Every person of 18 years and above is free to register a business in Kenya at the Registrar of Companies.
The Attorney General’s Chambers in Nairobi is responsible for company/business registrations.
All business and company registrations must be undertaken through the eCitizen online platform. However, the Business Registration Service has its headquarters has branches in all counties to enable easy access to the services.
There exists various company categories include sole proprietorships, partnerships and limited liability partnerships.
Devolment of the services such as incorporation of companies, registration of business names and partnerships to the counties promotes local business ideas/legal entities. This reduces costs of registration and operations as services are brought closer to the citizens.
Checklist for Business Registration
- Four copies of Identy Card
- Statement of Particulars
- PIN certificate
- Three Passport Photos
- Two copies of application for Name Reservation (CR14)
- Assesment statenmt of particulars
- Payment receipts
- Two copies of Business Permit Application Form
- Payment invoice for Business Permit
- Approved Business Permit Application Form
- Payment invoice for Application Fees
Steps to register your business/company
Step 1: Company name reservation
- Register on eCitizen
- Apply and pay for company name search
- Obtain company name reservation
Step 2: Compoany registration
- Apply and pay for company registration
- Submit signed application forms
- Obtain company registration documents
Step 3: Taxpayers registration
- Apply for company Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) pin
- Submit KRA pin acknowledgement receipt
- Obtain company KRA pin
Step 4: Obtain unified business permit
- Verification of business application permit from
- Assessment of business license fees
- Obtain invoice for business license fee
- Pay for license fees and obtain unified business permit
Step 5: National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) registration
- Apply for NHIF employer registration
- Obtain NHIF employers code
Step 6: National Social Security Fund (NSSF) registration
- Apply for NSSF employer registration
- Obtain NSSF certificate of registration