Connect with us

Breaking news

Moi-era minister who streamlined Roads ministry dies at 75

Published

on

Kiptoon served as the Minister for Roads and Public Works from 1998 to 2000. He was the Baringo North MP from 1997 to 2002.

As minister for Roads, he initiated policies that created Kenya Urban Roads Authority, Kenya National Highway Authority and Kenya Rural Roads Authority.

His signature legislative idea was that five per cent of all revenues collected by the government through the fuel levy be shared equally among all constituencies for the maintenance of their roads.

The legislation changed road maintenance in Kenya which had been the preserve of the central government at the time.

Born on October 6, 1946, in Kapchepkoiywo in Kabartonjo, Baringo, Kiptoon started schooling in 1955 at The African Inland Church Mission School.

He sat the Kenya African Preliminary Examination in 1961 and proceeded to Alliance High School. In 1968, he joined the University of Nairobi and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in structural engineering.

Along with other engineers, he was requested by the government to build and expand Kenya’s water infrastructure.

Before he was sacked from his Cabinet position, Kiptoon was pushing for the implementation of the Roads Board Bill.

The Bill was supposed to transfer management of the fuel levy to districts under the supervision of elected leaders.

This sparked a falling out with powerful people who wanted their private companies to win tenders for road repairs and construction.

He was also determined to streamline the roads sector by blacklisting contractors who did shoddy work.

He is credited with liberalising the Kenyan dairy sector when he was the chair of the dairy board which licensed private entries such as Delamare Dairies, Githunguri Dairies, Kwale Dairies, Molo Dairies and Brookside Dairies.

He will be remembered for implementing reforms that enabled notches to be put on all milk packets to enable the blind to know which side of the packet was to be opened and this is still in effect today.

As minister for Trade, he created standards that gave all products manufactured in Kenya to have the suffix 616 on their barcodes, which is the number assigned to products manufactured in Kenya.

He was a director at Kenya Airways (1980 to 1983), Director Kenya Wine Agencies Ltd (1990 to 1994) and the chair of Kenya Dairy Board from 1993 to 1996.

He served as an assistant minister for Education for three months and was subsequently appointed Minister for Science, Information and Technology. From 2002 to 2007, he served as Kenya’s permanent representative to UNEP and was also the chair of Egerton University Council from 2002 to 2004.

Breaking news

Police launch manhunt for man who assaulted his 90-year-old mother in Makueni.

Published

on

A 45years old man, Patrick Mumo is on the run after raping his 90-year-old mother. Detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) have launched a manhunt on Mashujaa Day, in Mbooni-Makueni county.

In a tweet, DCI said that the suspect went into hiding after committing the heinous act which left his mother admitted to a hospital.

“Detectives have launched a manhunt for a suspect who raped his 90-year-old mother on Mashujaa Day, in Mbooni-Makueni county, before going into hiding. The woman in her sunset years was found in her bedroom by her eldest son writhing in pain, complaining of waist pains,” DCI said.

The police report states that on October 20, Patrick Mumo forced himself into his mother’s bedroom at around 8 pm and subjected her to a beastly act.

She tearfully narrated her harrowing ordeal in the hands of her younger son Patrick Mumo, 45, who forced his way into her bedroom at around 8 pm as she slept and subjected her to the beastly act,” reads a tweet from DCI.

The 90-year-old mother was later rushed to Kisau Sub-county hospital where she is undergoing treatment.

“She was immediately rushed to Kisau Sub-county hospital in serious condition, where is undergoing treatment. Doctors at the medical facility confirmed that indeed she had been raped. Detectives are appealing to Patrick Mumo Ngenge to give himself up at the earliest available opportunity before the long arm of the law catches up with him,” said DCI.

Continue Reading

Breaking news

Uhuru lifts nationwide dusk-to-dawn curfew

Published

on

Uhuru made the announcement today during the 58th Mashujaa Day celebrations at the Wang’uru Stadium in Kirinyaga county.

Uhuru announced Kenya, as of Wednesday, had vaccinated five million adults noting as well that the rate of Covid-19 had decreased over the last two weeks, characterized by a positivity rate of below five percent.

“I want to thank the people of Kenya for exercising an admirable degree of civic responsibility in this fight and truly being their brothers’ keepers,” the President said.

However, Uhuru cautioned the country is not yet out of the woods yet and appealed to Kenyans to continue to observe the Ministry of Health containment measures.

The President also announced a review of the number of persons gathering for in-person worship upwards from one-third of the congregants to two-thirds provided they adhere to all the health protocols.

Among those who had made a passionate appeal to the President to lift the curfew were the restaurant operators.

The Pubs, Entertainment, and Restaurants Association of Kenya (PERAK) said the entertainment sector has been sidelined as others benefit from the relaxed Covid-19 containment measures.

“The entertainment sector remains the only one facing restrictions as all other sectors are open. Matatus are operating at full capacity, supermarkets and other markets are open and churches are open and functioning normally,” said Muthami.

The operators’ call came a day after Uhuru hinted the curfew could be lifted soon.

More than 15,000 bars and restaurants have been shut since the onset of the pandemic, rendering an estimated 90,000 workers jobless, according to PERAK.

Excise revenue levied on beer, wines, and spirits was reduced by 19 percent in 2020, with the decline attributed to the impact of the restrictions on sale of alcohol compounded by the increase in excise taxes.

“Our appeal now is to the President to allow us to resume work so that we can continue contributing to the country’s economic growth. We are not even talking about an extension of the hours but about full reopening,” said Simon Njoroge, chairman of the Bar, Hotel and Liquor Traders Association.

Continue Reading

Breaking news

First black US Secretary of State Colin Powell dies of Covid-19 complications

Published

on

The retired four-star general and former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who served four presidents made his reputation as a man of honor distant from the political fray — an asset in the corridors of power.

Colin Powell, a US war hero and the first Black secretary of state who saw his legacy tarnished when he made the case for war in Iraq in 2003, has died from complications from Covid-19. He was 84.

After the 1991 Gulf War he was so widely respected that he was even touted as a future president of the United States, but ultimately he never ran for the White House.

“General Powell is an American hero, an American example, and a great American story,” George W. Bush said as he announced the nomination of Powell, the son of Jamaican immigrants who became the Republican president’s secretary of state in 2000.

“Indirectness of speech, his towering integrity, his deep respect for our democracy, and his soldier’s sense of duty and honor, Colin Powell demonstrates… qualities that will make him a great representative of all the people of this country.”

But he found it hard to live down his infamous February 2003 speech to the United Nations Security Council about the alleged existence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq — evidence which was later proven to be false.

“It’s a blot… and will always be a part of my record. It was painful. It’s painful now,” Powell said in a 2005 interview with ABC News.

“We have lost a remarkable and loving husband, father, grandfather and a great American,” the family said in a statement posted to social media on Monday.

Continue Reading

Trending