Connect with us

Breaking news

Samia Suluh to take over as the President of Tanzania after Magufuli”s death.

Published

on

The big issue

After the demise of President Magufuli whose death was announced on wednesday evening, Tanzania had to follow their constitution that says “If the office of the President becomes vacant by reasons of death, then the Vice President shall be sworn in and become the President for the unexpired period of the term of five years”.

Jhon Pombe Magufuli ,62, died from a heart attack, according to a televised announcment by the countrys Vice President Samia Suluhu. She told the country that he died on wednesday evening, following admission to a Dar es salaam hospital on march 6.

Magufuli was rushed to hospital and had been attended to by heart specialists, his death brings to a close weeks of speculation on his wherabouts and health. But also opens a new chapter for a country which has never changed goverments outside elections.

Magufuli nicknamed the Bulldozer for pushing through objects when he worked as minister of works. During this time of Covid Magufuli refused to lock down his country when his neighbouring countries did, he also didi not issue compulsury mask-wearing in public. instead, he asked people to pray.

Magufuli was born in October 1959 in Chato, Geita Province in north-Western Tanzania, Educated entirely in Tanzania, Magufuli was a science teacher who majored in mathematics and Chemistry and later worked as an idustrial chemist at the nyanza cooperative Union Ltd.

First elected to parliament in 1995, he served in the cabinet of Tanzania of Tanzania as Deputy minister of works from 1995-2000, minister of works from 2000-2006. After he took office in 2015, he promised measuers to cut cost. He reduced his own foreign travel and downsized delegations travelling abroad.

Further, he diverted funds meant for dinners or public celebration to supporting the needy an the sick. He also cut his own salary from sh1.5 million a month to sh 400,000 an halved the cabinet to 15 ministers comparedf to Kikwetes 30.

Other controversies included ordering the military to but cashew nuts from farmers ostenbly to cut off middlemen. He was also accused of forcing pregnant school going children to stay at home.

Tanzanian Vice president Samia Suluh now is set to replace Magufuli in his sit as the President. Being the first woman being a president in Tanzania.

May God rest hi soul in peace.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking news

1 dead: How Komothai Girls defended themselves after boys invaded their dorm.

Published

on

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) report on the incident, which involved a minor, has been regarded as a case of self-defense. It happened at Kimothai girls’ secondary school. The unidentified minor and his friends had accessed the girl’s sleeping quarters at the wee hours of Thursday morning on a yet to be determined mission.

The students, who were not aware that the boy was there, attacked the intruders after learning that he was there since they sensed that they might be in danger.

“The school’s guards, teachers, and students all rushed towards the dormitory to find out what was happening. On sensing danger, five of the boys managed to trace their way back to their school while the deceased was cornered by the angry students and staff.

“Sadly, they descended on him causing him life-threatening injuries. The boy later succumbed to his injuries at Kigumo level IV hospital. Crime scene detectives later visited the scene and recovered planks of wood suspected to have been used to assault the suspect,” the police report read.

The DCI went on to caution members of the public to desist from taking the law into their hands, as also recently witnessed in Masten Wanjala’s case in Bungoma.

Cases of Dorm Invasions are Fairly Common

Cases of dormitory invasions are fairly common in Kenya. Most of these are among the schools that are close to each other.

It’s almost like a rite of passage for many final-year students of boys’ schools. In April this year, over 70 students from a school in Lanet in Nakuru county were arrested after the same incident.

The schoolmates of the Anestar Bahati Boys School reportedly are said to have sneaked out of their school and managed to enter the girls’ school. When law enforcers confronted them, they had a difficult time in rounding up the boys, forcing them to fire shots in the air.

“Officers from Githioro Police Station responded swiftly and rushed to the school after the girls raised alarm. But not even the arrival of our men would scare away the defiant boys who kept hovering around the dormitory.

“Officers managed to arrest 10 of them, as others escaped in the dead of the night. The arrested were placed in custody at Dundori Patrol Base, pending further action,” a statement from the DCI read in part.

University Education and Research Principle secretary Amb. Simon Nabukwesi at the time said that a decision had been made to prosecute the students. The decision was later reversed after consultations with the County Director of Education, the County Commissioner, and other stakeholders.

According to the PS, the 70 boys ‘appeared remorseful’ and were allowed to complete their KCSE examinations in the school.

They will face the law, there is no exemption for that, but they will have their certificates so that they can be corrected to become better people,” said Nabukwesi.

Continue Reading

Breaking news

Police launch manhunt for man who assaulted his 90-year-old mother in Makueni.

Published

on

A 45years old man, Patrick Mumo is on the run after raping his 90-year-old mother. Detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) have launched a manhunt on Mashujaa Day, in Mbooni-Makueni county.

In a tweet, DCI said that the suspect went into hiding after committing the heinous act which left his mother admitted to a hospital.

“Detectives have launched a manhunt for a suspect who raped his 90-year-old mother on Mashujaa Day, in Mbooni-Makueni county, before going into hiding. The woman in her sunset years was found in her bedroom by her eldest son writhing in pain, complaining of waist pains,” DCI said.

The police report states that on October 20, Patrick Mumo forced himself into his mother’s bedroom at around 8 pm and subjected her to a beastly act.

She tearfully narrated her harrowing ordeal in the hands of her younger son Patrick Mumo, 45, who forced his way into her bedroom at around 8 pm as she slept and subjected her to the beastly act,” reads a tweet from DCI.

The 90-year-old mother was later rushed to Kisau Sub-county hospital where she is undergoing treatment.

“She was immediately rushed to Kisau Sub-county hospital in serious condition, where is undergoing treatment. Doctors at the medical facility confirmed that indeed she had been raped. Detectives are appealing to Patrick Mumo Ngenge to give himself up at the earliest available opportunity before the long arm of the law catches up with him,” said DCI.

Continue Reading

Breaking news

Uhuru lifts nationwide dusk-to-dawn curfew

Published

on

Uhuru made the announcement today during the 58th Mashujaa Day celebrations at the Wang’uru Stadium in Kirinyaga county.

Uhuru announced Kenya, as of Wednesday, had vaccinated five million adults noting as well that the rate of Covid-19 had decreased over the last two weeks, characterized by a positivity rate of below five percent.

“I want to thank the people of Kenya for exercising an admirable degree of civic responsibility in this fight and truly being their brothers’ keepers,” the President said.

However, Uhuru cautioned the country is not yet out of the woods yet and appealed to Kenyans to continue to observe the Ministry of Health containment measures.

The President also announced a review of the number of persons gathering for in-person worship upwards from one-third of the congregants to two-thirds provided they adhere to all the health protocols.

Among those who had made a passionate appeal to the President to lift the curfew were the restaurant operators.

The Pubs, Entertainment, and Restaurants Association of Kenya (PERAK) said the entertainment sector has been sidelined as others benefit from the relaxed Covid-19 containment measures.

“The entertainment sector remains the only one facing restrictions as all other sectors are open. Matatus are operating at full capacity, supermarkets and other markets are open and churches are open and functioning normally,” said Muthami.

The operators’ call came a day after Uhuru hinted the curfew could be lifted soon.

More than 15,000 bars and restaurants have been shut since the onset of the pandemic, rendering an estimated 90,000 workers jobless, according to PERAK.

Excise revenue levied on beer, wines, and spirits was reduced by 19 percent in 2020, with the decline attributed to the impact of the restrictions on sale of alcohol compounded by the increase in excise taxes.

“Our appeal now is to the President to allow us to resume work so that we can continue contributing to the country’s economic growth. We are not even talking about an extension of the hours but about full reopening,” said Simon Njoroge, chairman of the Bar, Hotel and Liquor Traders Association.

Continue Reading

Trending